Friday, November 20, 2015

Living Gems

"Down in Bism we have [gems] alive and growing. There I'll pick you bunches of rubies that you can eat and squeeze you a cup full of diamond-juice." ~The Silver Chair, by C. S. Lewis

Edible jewels--
I've had them.
   Ruby drops
      Glowing in the sun
      Like Mexican firestone,
   But alive
      Firm to the lips
      Bursting between teeth
      Sweet and tart.
It's no wonder Persephone succumbed,
   Dooming herself to months beneath the earth.
Who knew that living gems
   Were not the key to life
   But only mortal enjoyment?


3 comments:

  1. Love the photo, too!! I've got two of those gem cases in my fridge ready for the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! They've been in season here, so we've been enjoying them whenever we can find them.

      Delete
  2. Ah, that's fantastic. I had never connected the two, but it makes perfect sense!

    ReplyDelete